A kitchen stove is blamed for a fire in a Storm Lake home Monday evening.
Fire chief Mike Jones says firefighters were called to 800 Geneseo Street shortly after eight p.m., where smoke was coming from the residence. Fire fighters located fire and dense smoke in the kitchen. Fire fighters extinguished the fire without further incident.
A woman in the residence escaped from the home and was taken to the Buena Vista Regional Medical Center by ambulance, where she was treated for injuries related to the fire incident. Fire fighters located and successfully rescued a small dog from the house.
Jones says an investigation determined the fire started on the kitchen stove top and burned up the and into the kitchen cupboards. Fire fighters removed the burnt items from the kitchen and placed them outside. The residence is owned by Neccy Poggesse. Damage is estimated at 25-thousand dollars.
The fire department was on scene for approximately one hour. They were assisted by Storm Lake Police and the Buena Vista County Paramedics.