Tips for staying cool include:
- Plan outdoor activities in the cooler early morning or evening hours
- Stay indoors as much as possible where it is air-conditioned
- Avoid drinks with caffeine and alcohol, which can be dehydrating
- Wear light clothing
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat small meals more often
- Avoid strenuous activity if possible
- Crack car windows. Never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle.
- Check the heat on outdoor play equipment, like slides, which can burn children.
Individuals may seek relief between 12:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at Buena Vista Regional Medical Center on days when the temperature exceeds 90 degrees. Interested individuals should come to the Bistro (BVRMC Cafeteria) located inside the North/Green entrance. Ice water will be available at no charge.
Anyone suffering symptoms of heat exhaustion or heat stroke should seek immediate medical attention. Symptoms include nausea, dizziness, profuse sweating, the inability to sweat, or cramps.