The Storm Lake Fire Department was dispatched to a utility pole on fire shortly after 8:30 Monday morning on C-65 west of Storm Lake.
Fire fighters saw a fire burning at the top of a pole to the east of 785 610th Street. Fire chief Mike Jones says an apparent short circuit caused the top three feet of the pole to burn free and leaving it to hang by an overhead wire.
MidAmerican Energy was contacted and arrived to cut the power to the pole and extinguish the fire. Fire fighters remained on scene until it was determined to be safe. Fire fighters were on scene for about 30 minutes and were assisted by Storm Lake Police, the Buena Vista County Sheriff’s Office and MidAmerican Energy staff.