Buena Vista University Theatre will present “The Tempest” by William Shakespeare on Oct. 13 and 14. The show will begin at 7 p.m. on the west side of the Arch between Pierce/White Hall and Smith Hall on the BVU campus and has a running time of 90 minutes.
The show is free and open to the public. Parking will be available in lots C and D, and transportation from the parking lot can be requested by calling 712-749-2500. The performance marks BVU’s first-ever outdoor production, so attendees are encouraged to bring along lawn chairs and blankets.
“The Tempest” is about Prospero, a sorcerer and the former Duke of Milan, who has been stranded on an island for 12 years with his daughter, Miranda. When Prospero finds an opportunity to seek revenge on the men who stranded him on the island, adventure and trickery ensues.
The production, which coincides with BVU’s Family Weekend, is directed by David Walker, assistant professor of theatre and director of theatre productions. Taylor Prather, a senior social work major from Clarinda, is the costume designer.
“The production serves as a chance for attendees to experience something fun and different,” said Walker. “We embraced the idea of bringing the performance outside because it gives people the opportunity to see another side of the theatre department at BVU.”
The cast of BVU students and faculty includes:
• Justin Forkpa, a sophomore biomedical science and theatre double major from Urbandale
• Cole Hackbarth, a sophomore English and theatre double major from Spirit Lake
• Glenn Hackbarth, a sophomore history major from Spirit Lake
• Chancellor Johnson, a junior theatre major from Nashua
• Kylie Mahoney, a first year political science major from Saint Joseph, Mo.
• Corey McConnaughy, a senior digital media major from Bennington, Neb.
• Kylee Muyskens, a sophomore (undecided major) from Yale
• Romelo Salas, a junior arts management major from Evergreen, Colo.
• Tara Smith, a sophomore theatre major from Kansas City, Mo.
• Dalton Walker, a first year history and political science double major from Storm Lake
• Jared White, assistant professor of Spanish
• Tanner Wood, a senior business and mathematics double major from Springfield, Mo.