No Injuries In Storm Lake Gas Leak

There were no injuries and no damage when a gas leak was reported at the Storm Lake Subway Thursday evening.

The Storm Lake Fire Department was dispatched to investigated a carbon dioxide tank which had frozen over. Fire chief Mike Jones says the building had been evacuated when fire-fighters arrived and the leaking gas had been shut off.

Fire fighters entered the building wearing self-contained breathing apparatus and gas monitoring equipment and determined that oxygen levels had not depleted due to the leaking carbon dioxide gas. Jones says a malfunction in the carbon dioxide system used to dispense soda caused a leak allowing gas to flow into the building. The free flowing gas caused the piping to frost over.

Fire fighters were on scene for about 25 minutes and were assisted by Storm Lake Police.